The sixth annual World Eating Disorders Action Day will take place on June 2, 2021 across the globe. World Eating Disorders Action Day is a grassroots movement designed for and by people affected by an eating disorder, their families, and the medical and health professionals who support them. Uniting activists across the globe, the aim is to expand global awareness of eating disorders as genetically linked, treatable illnesses that can affect anyone.
- Worldwide, over 70 million people are estimated to be affected by an eating disorder, including anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, and otherwise specified feeding eating disorders (OSFED).
- Eating disorders have the second highest mortality rate of any psychiatric illness.
- Eating Disorders affect people of all genders, sexual orientations, ages, socioeconomic class, abilities, races, and ethnic backgrounds.
- When treated early and correctly, eating disorders have the highest and fastest recovery rate.
The 2021 theme for World Eating Disorders Action Day features #Equity4EatingDisorders social media campaign across various social media platforms.
Individuals are encouraged to speak about:
1) Equity for addressing all forms of eating disorders;
2) Equity in research and program funding for eating disorders;
3) Equity in access to treatment and recovery; and
4) Equity for marginalized and underrepresented groups.
If you or someone you know is suffering from an eating disorder and you are being denied benefits by your insurance, please call Kantor & Kantor for a free consultation or use our online form. We understand, and we can help.