Suicide is a Leading Cause of Death in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) WISQARS Leading Causes of Death Reports, in 2017:
- Suicide was the tenth leading cause of death overall in the United States, claiming the lives of over 47,000 people.
- Suicide was the second leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 10 and 34, and the fourth leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 35 and 54.
- There were more than twice as many suicides (47,173) in the United States as there were homicides (19,510).
The National Alliance on Mental Illness reports that suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S., and the second leading cause of death for people aged 10 through 34,and the fourth leading cause of death for individuals aged 35 through 54. See www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-By-the-Numbers.
Mental health does not discriminate. There is no single cause for suicide. Suicide most often occurs when stressors and health issues converge to create feelings of hopelessness and despair. Depression is the most common condition associated with suicide, and it is often undiagnosed or untreated.
Suicide is not inevitable for anyone. By starting the conversation, providing support, and directing help to those who need it, we can prevent suicide and save lives. If you or someone you know needs help, please reach out to one of the following resources immediately:
- The National Suicide Prevention hotline @ (800) 273-8255
- The MY3 app allows you to define your network and your plan to stay safe: http://my3app.org/
- Crisis Text Line: text HOME to 741741 (in the U.S.)
At Kantor & Kantor we help clients and their families connect with the help they need and fight to get access to the mental health care they deserve. If you or someone you know is suffering from a mental illness and has been denied short term or long term disability benefits or health insurance benefits, please call Kantor & Kantor for a free consultation or complete our online form. Get started with us today!
We understand, and we can help.