Attorney Sally Mermelstein
Ms. Mermelstein’s entire legal career has been devoted to ERISA employee benefits, an area of law she first became familiar with when a hand problem permanently disabled her from her former career as a violinist. Having been a disability claimant herself, Ms. Mermelstein understands the devastation that employees feel upon losing their ability to work, and of the importance of securing specialized first-rate representation to ensure that this loss is not compounded by the additional hardship of an improper benefits denial.
Ms. Mermelstein has a nation-wide reputation for her deep understanding of the ERISA law and her insight is widely sought by plaintiff-side ERISA attorneys.
Ms. Mermelstein specializes in disability claims but will eagerly take on important ERISA issues that arise in life, AD&D, or pension cases. The majority of her time is spent drafting briefs to trial and appellate courts throughout the nation and, where necessary, drafting memoranda to facilitate mediation and settlement.
- Juris Doctor JD, University of Minnesota Law School, 2003
- Master of Music – Violin, The Juilliard School, New York, 1985
- Bachelor of Music – Violin, The Juilliard School, New York, 1983
Notable DecisionsSome of the most recent examples of Ms. Mermelstein’s work are found in:
- Yates v. Symetra Life Ins. Co., 60 F.4th 1109 (8th Cir. 2023)
- Collier v. Lincoln Life Assurance Co. of Bos., 53 F.4th 1180 (9th Cir. 2022)
- Tekmen v. Reliance Standard Life Ins. Co., 55 F.4th 951 (4th Cir. 2022)
- Wolf v. Life Ins. Co. of N. Am., 46 F.4th 979 (9th Cir. 2022)
- Kay v. Hartford Life & Accident Ins. Co., No. 21-55463, 2022 WL 4363444 (9th Cir. Sept. 21, 2022);
- Shupe v. Hartford Life & Accident Ins. Co., 19 F.4th 697 (4th Cir. 2021)
- Williby v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., Case No. 18-56674; Williby v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., Case No. 18-56021 (9th Cir.)
- Nathans v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of Am., No. CV 20-4977-RSWL-MRWX, 2021 WL 3053390 (C.D. Cal. July 20, 2021)
- Myers v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., No. CV 19-9555 DSF (KSX), 2020 WL 7423109 (C.D. Cal. Dec. 17, 2020)
- State Bar of Minnesota, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit