According to the National Eating Disorders Collaboration, eating disorders can develop among people with a combination of psychological, social and genetic factors. Some of the risk factors for eating disorders are:
- Low self-esteem, or perfectionism.
- Overvaluing body image in defining self-worth.
- Stress, depression and trauma.
- Avoidance of social interaction.
- Involvement in a sport that emphasizes body shape.
- Troubled family or personal relationships.
- Teasing or bullying.
Unfortunately, all too often these feelings and behaviors can increase during the holiday season. If you or someone you know is in crisis, seek help immediately.
- The National Suicide Prevention hotline @ (800) 273-8255
- The MY3 app allows you to define your network and your plan to stay safe: Please click HERE to learn more.
- Crisis Text Line: text HOME to 741741 (in the U.S.)
At Kantor & Kantor we help patients and their families connect with the help they need and fight to get access to the mental health care they deserve. If you or someone you know is suffering from a mental illness and has been denied disability benefits or health insurance benefits , please call Kantor & Kantor for a free consultation or use our online contact form.
We understand, and we can help.