Alan E. Kassan is a Senior Partner in the Firm and has over 30 years of experience in representing plaintiffs whose insurance benefits have been denied. For the latter half of those years, Alan’s law practice has focused on helping people recover their health-related insurance benefits. This includes benefits for life insurance, long term care insurance, long term disability insurance, and health insurance claims when those benefits have been wrongfully denied. In most instances, these benefits are employer-provided and thus governed by the Federal laws of ERISA. Individual claims are governed by state laws, and are subject to the remedies for insurance bad faith, including the recovery of punitive damages. Alan has vast experience in both of these areas of law.
Alan has also acted as a Judge Pro Tem, a volunteer mediator, and has been active with a variety of professional and non-profit Boards and Associations over the last many years, and currently serves as immediate Past President on the Board of Trustees for the San Fernando Valley Bar Association. He has been selected year over year as a "Super Lawyer" signifying a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations to rate outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas.
Alan is a frequent speaker in the areas of law he practices and among many others, has made presentations to the following groups: The Los Angeles Home Health Council, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the California Association of Health Care Services at Home; the National Association for Home Care and Hospice; Western Region Geriatric Care Managers; California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform; Private Duty Home Care Association, North Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Alan was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley. He is married, and with his wife raised their four sons in the Valley. Alan is also an avid outdoorsman and accomplished landscape photographer.
- Juris Doctor, University of San Diego, Law Review
- Bachelor of Arts, Experimental Psychology, University of California Santa Barbara
- State Bar of California, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- President, San Fernando Valley Bar Association, 2017-2018
- Trustee, Valley Community Legal Foundation, 2017-2018
- Los Angeles Bar Association
- Super Lawyer
- Tam v. First Unum Life Insurance Company, F.Supp.3d 2020 WL 5904804 (C.D. Cal. 2020)
- Lat v. Farmers New World Life Ins. Co., 29 Cal.App.5th 191 (2018)
- Jahn-Derian v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., 2016 WL 1355625 (C.D. Cal. 2016)
- Lat v. Soriano, Court of Appeal, Second District, Division 1, California 2015 WL 7423590 (2015)
- Mondolo v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of America, United States District Court, 2013 WL 179711 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Gottlieb v. Conseco Senior Health Insurance Company, 2013 WL 12125742 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Gottlieb v. Conseco Sr. Health Ins. Co., 612 Fed.Appx. 468, 2015 WL 4747261 (9th Cir. 2011)
- Patterson v. Reliance Standard Life Ins. Co., 986 F.Supp.2d 1140, 2013 WL 6328832 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Casey v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., 2008 WL 538486 (C.D. Cal. 2008)